Rideau Lore

Part of the Downtown Rideau Culture Walk self-guided tour, Rideau Lore is site specific historical information, points of interest and community stories speaking to the rich heritage of the Arts, Fashion & Theatre District. Identifiable by public art Mural Boxes as part of the Downtown Rideau Culture Walk tour, Rideau Lore is another reason to #LoveRideau, and visit #WhereCultureLives in Ottawa.


Larocque Department Store

Rideau @ Dalhousie – NW Corner, Near Rio Spa (155 Rideau Street)
larocque-department-store
Opened in 1923, Larocque Department Store, 377 Dalhousie Street (at Rideau). One of six department stores defining Rideau Street’s reign as Ottawa’s premiere shopping street from 1889 into the 1970’s and continuing today with CF Rideau Centre. This photograph shows Larocque’s before its closing in 1971.
Ouvert en 1923, Larocque Department Store, 377, rue Dalhousie (à Rideau). L’un des six grands magasins définissant le règne de Rideau Street comme la rue commerçante première d’Ottawa from1889 dans les années 1970 et continue aujourd’hui avec le Centre Rideau FC. Cette photographie montre Larocque avant sa fermeture en 1971.
Acknowledgements: Michel Lafleur and Ottawa Jewish Archives
Back to Auntie Mame
Back to top


Clegg-Feller Building

Rideau @ Dalhousie – NW Corner, Near Rio Spa (155 Rideau Street)
clegg-feller
Built in 1864, the Clegg-Feller Building, 159 Rideau Street (NW corner of Rideau at Dalhousie). Artist studio occupied the upstairs and shops on the ground floor.
Construit en 1864, l’édifice Clegg-Feller, 159 rue Rideau (NW coin de Rideau à l’Université Dalhousie). Atelier d’artiste et à l’étage occupé boutiques au rez-de-chaussée.
Acknowledgements: / Remerciements: Heritage Ottawa
Back to Auntie Mame
Back to top


Rideau Convent

Rideau @ Waller – SE Corner, Near Starbucks (204 Rideau Street)
rideau-convent
Built in 1869, the Sacred Heart Convent (SE corner of Rideau at Waller) was the location of The Sisters of Charity girls’ school and Convent of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart. A chapel (Rideau Chapel) was added in 1886 by priest Georges Bouillon. In 1972, the convent demolished. The chapel was dismantled, relocated and restored inside the National Gallery of Canada in 1984 where it remains today.
Construit en 1869, le Cœur Sacré Couvent (coin SE de Rideau à Waller) était l’emplacement des Sœurs de l’école de filles de bienfaisance et couvent de Notre-Dame du Sacré-Cœur. Une chapelle (chapelle Rideau) a été ajouté en 1886 par le prêtre Georges Bouillon. En 1972, le couvent démoli. La chapelle a été démantelé, déplacé et restauré à l’intérieur de la Galerie nationale du Canada en 1984 où il demeure aujourd’hui.
Acknowledgements / Remerciements: City of Ottawa Archives and Phil Jenkins
Back to Auntie Mame
Back to top


Ottawa Little Theatre

Besserer @ King Edward – NW Corner, Near Ottawa Little Theatre (400 King Edward Ave)
olt-rideau-lore
Formed in 1913, the Ottawa Little Theatre (OLT) purchased the Eastern Methodist Church in 1928 at 400 King Edward Avenue (corner of Besserer). It is the longest-running community theatre company in Canada. Canadian actors that got their start on OLT’s stage, including Dan Aykroyd, Michael Burgess, Rich Little, Adam Beach, Saul Rubinek, Luba Goy and Jessica Holmes. Famed photographer Yousuf Karsh learned about lighting and met his first wife, Solonge at OLT. The theatre has several original Karsh photographs on display. A fire destroyed the original building in 1970. The current building opened in 1972.
Formé en 1913, le Ottawa Little Theatre (BTA) a acheté l’église méthodiste de l’Est en 1928 à 400 avenue King Edward (coin de la rue Besserer). Elle est la société de théâtre communautaire plus longue au Canada. acteurs canadiens qui ont obtenu leur début sur la scène du BTA, y compris Dan Aykroyd, Michael Burgess, Rich Little, Adam Beach, Saul Rubinek, Luba Goy et Jessica Holmes. Le célèbre photographe Yousuf Karsh a appris l’éclairage et a rencontré sa première femme, Solonge au BTA. Le théâtre a plusieurs photographies Karsh originales sur l’affichage. Un incendie a détruit le bâtiment d’origine en 1970. Le bâtiment actuel a ouvert en 1972.
Acknowledgements: / Remerciements: Ottawa Little Theatre
Back to Auntie Mame
Back to top


Ottawa Mission

Waller @ Daly – SE Corner, Near the Ottawa Mission (35 Waller Street)
ottawa-mission
Built in 1860, 47-49 Daly Street (NE corner of Daly at Waller), has been home to the Ottawa Mission since 1911. The Mission was founded in 1906 to help the hungry and poor in Ottawa. During Ottawa’s early settlement, the sick, unemployed and homeless were sanctioned to the edge of town (near present day Waller and Cumberland streets). Good Samaritans of the day administered care, food and clothing to the needy at this boundary. Three homeless shelters exist along these streets today (Ottawa Mission, Salvation Army and Shepherd’s of Good Hope).
Construit en 1860, 47-49, rue Daly (coin NE de Daly à Waller), a été le foyer de la Mission d’Ottawa depuis 1911. La mission a été fondée en 1906 pour aider les affamés et pauvres à Ottawa. Au cours de règlement rapide d’Ottawa, les malades, chômeurs et sans-abri ont été sanctionnés à la périphérie de la ville (près de l’actuelle Waller et rues Cumberland). les bons Samaritains du jour administré des soins, de la nourriture et des vêtements aux nécessiteux à cette frontière. Trois refuges existent le long de ces rues aujourd’hui (Mission Ottawa, Armée du Salut et Shepherd de Bonne-Espérance).
Acknowledgements / Remerciements: Ottawa Citizen and Ottawa Mission
Back to Auntie Mame
Back to top


Arts Court

Daly @ Nicholas – SE Corner, Near Arts Court (2 Daly Ave)
courthouse-and-jail-a009188
Built in 1870, the Carleton County Courthouse, 2 Daly Avenue, (SE corner of Daly at Nicholas) was the centre of county government. It is now home to Arts Court and the Ottawa Art Gallery, a cultural complex of arts organizations presenting visual art, multi-media, dance and live theatre programming in its galleries and performance spaces. A fire in 1870 destroyed the original wooden building.
Construit en 1870, le palais de justice du comté de Carleton, 2, avenue Daly, (coin SE de Daly à Nicholas) était le centre du comté. Il est maintenant à la maison à la Cour des arts et de la galerie d’art d’Ottawa, un des organismes artistiques comples culturelles présentant des oeuvres d’art visuel, multi-media, la danse et le théâtre de la programmation dans ses galeries et salles de spectacles. Un incendie en 1870 détruit le bâtiment en bois d’origine.
Acknowledgements / Remerciements: Parks Canada, Canada’s Historic Places and Heritage Ottawa
Back to Auntie Mame
Back to top


Albion Hotel

Daly @ Nicholas – SE Corner, Near Arts Court (2 Daly Ave)
albion
Built in 1864, the Albion Hotel, 33 Nicholas Street (NE corner of Nicholas at Daly) was originally the site of a hostelry in 1844. The building of a new courthouse, (now Arts Court) was a favourite meeting place of lawyers and university students. Juries were housed overnight and accused, lawyers and judges ate lunch side-by-side in its restaurant during trials.
Construit en 1864, l’hôtel Albion 33, rue Nicholas (NE coin de Nicholas à Daly) a été à l’origine l’emplacement d’une hôtellerie, fondée par Allan Cameron, en 1844. La construction d’un nouveau palais de justice (le palais de justice du comté de Carleton et maintenant la Cour des Arts) était un lieu de rencontre de prédilection des avocats et des étudiants universitaires. Les jurys ont été logés pendant la nuit et l’accusé, les juges et les avocats ont mangé le déjeuner côte-à-côte dans son restaurant pendant les essais.
Acknowledgements: / Remerciements: Parks Canada, Canada’s Historic Places
Back to Auntie Mame
Back to top