2 Rideau Street, Government Conference Centre (south side of the building at Daly adjacent to the Rideau Canal) | Artist: John Hooper
Created in 1981 by John Hooper,”Balancing” consists of five wooden figures balancing on a beam. “A playful work of art, Balancing consists of a collection of 5 brightly coloured whimsical wooden figures balancing on a Y-shaped beam. Made from laminated Philippine mahogany, it represents a cross-section of Capital residents – including a bemused civil servant.”
Date created or placed: 01/01/1981
Materials used: Philippine mahogany
Brigadier Andrew Gault
53 Elgin Street, National Arts Centre
This monument to Brigadier Andrew Hamilton Gault is located south of the National Arts Center in Confederation Square. The statue of Brigadier Gault is approximately 1.5 times life size and is on a granite pedestal.
The text on the pedestal reads as follows:
“Brigadier Andrew Hamilton Gault, DSO, OBE, ED, CD, The
Founder / Fondateur du Régiment
Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry
This statue is dedicated to the Memory of Andrew Hamilton Gault, Founder of the Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry, War Hero, Philathropist, Industrialist and Public Servant. His life was an example of devoted service to Canada in war and peace.
Over two thousand Patricias have given their lives for Canada’s Freedom. Their legacy of selflessness, heroism and devotion to duty continues to inspire their successors who proudly serve Canada in the quest for peace.”
53 Elgin Street, National Arts Centre | Artist: Charles Daudelin
An inquisitive mind and artist Charles Daudelin strived throughout his career to meet every challenge that came his way. His multi-faceted and unique career brought him to employ a wide-range of creative media in his art. He is a skilled painter, drawer, sculptor, theatre set designer, book illustrator, and puppet maker.
Daudelin was drawn to sculpting out of a desire to make art that was accessible. The projects and spaces he created show a deep concern for public art and for the integration of art into the architecture of urban environments. The notion of duality in his sculptures is seen as both contrasting and connecting desolation to abundance and clarity to the obscure.
Carleton County Jail Pillory
75 Nicholas Street, HI Ottawa Jail Hostel
From 1860 to 1970 the Carleton County Jail was one of the most notorious jails of North America. Today the facility is known as the Ottawa International Hostel.
Celebration of Growth
King Edward Avenue 19 sculptures installed from Rideau Street to Murray Street | Artist: Karl Ciesluk
Text from a plaque next to the seed pod sculpures at the corner of Rideau Street and King Edward Avenue: “Karl Ciesluk`s artwork celebrates the continuous process of growth and renewal and, as such, he has introduced these concepts in a sculpture series of seed pods and plant growth for King Edward Avenue renewal.
Elegant lilies and fiddleheads sprout from metal stems as if growing from the concrete below. Giant seed pods sculpted from local stone boulders are clustered strategically along the boulevard.
As symbols for the natural cycles of dormancy and regeneration, Ciesluk envisions his sculptures “as capsules awaiting the right condition to grow and flourish in their glory.”
Placement Date: 2010
Material: Aluminum, Stainless Steel and Stone
Colonel By Fountain
Confederation Park | Artist: Sir Charles Barry
A pair of fountains from Trafalgar Square erected 1845, red granite from Peterhead Quarry, Aberdeenshire, made by McDonald and Leslie Aberdeen to Sir Charles Barry’s design. An alternative to much larger fountains in Barry’s design for Trafalgar Square. Presented to the Government of Canada through the National Gallery of Canada, and now under the custody of the National Capital Commission. One was erected in Confederation Park, Ottowa, as a memorial to Lt Col. John By; the other is in the Wascana Centre, Regina, Saskatchewan.
Waller Mall at Rideau Street | Artist: Justin Wonnacott
This work combines a simplified image of the Ottawa area landscape, as seen from a satellite, with a drawing of a surveyor’s sextant over the city, which partly obscures the word “domicile” so that it reads as “docile”.
Cube, Lattice, Sphere, Wave
Rideau Street between Waller Street and Wurtemburg Street | Artist: Mark Thompson
Glass artist Mark Thompson has installed four sculptures along Rideau Street that explore how we perceive colour, light and motion. This art installation conveys a range of symbols and associations: At Waller Street, the energy of downtown glows red in Cube; Further east, in front of the Rideau branch of the Ottawa Public Library, many colours of Lattice represent interconnected knowledge; The values of community, integrity and health radiate from the green Sphere near Cobourg Street; A blue Wave announces the Rideau River and the natural world just beyond Wurtemburg Street. Strips of glass housed inside each artwork are lit by pre-programmed lights. The lights slowly change colour and intensity causing shifts in perception as we travel around the object. At night, the sculptures transform the streetscape and expand our sensory experience.
110 Laurier Avenue West, City Hall | Artist: Stephen Brathwaite
Stephen Brathwaite belongs to the social realism school of art. Though his work is representational, the underlying meanings justify viewer contemplation. Creating a welcome feeling of intimacy in the arcade, Family Portrait celebrates the individuals that comprise the ‘regional family’. Chosen for their diversity, contributions, and eccentricities, Brathwaite cast the faces of 28 individuals ranging from a spiked-haired student/photographer in Nepean to a farming husband and wife team in Kanata. These individuals reflect the spirit and character of their municipality and together create a time capsule. The municipalities represented here are Cumberland, Gloucester, Goulbourn, Kanata, Nepean, Osgoode, Ottawa, Rideau, Rockcliffe, Vanier and West Carleton.
Stephen Brathwaite, Family Portrait (detail), 1992, glass and bronze casting
Born in Ottawa, Stephen Brathwaite is a well-respected glass artist who received his BA at Carleton University, 1971.
From a Camper’s Diary
Waller Mall at Rideau Street | Artist: Justin Wonnacott
Justin Wonnacott was born in Belleville, Ontario in 1950. He is a photographer who also teaches, curates and writes about his subject from time to time. He has exhibited photographs regularly since 1974, and in 1992 began using computers as a tool to help make his artwork. Many of his large works are montages that use constructed imagery and integral texts to refer to his dialogue with pictures as an image maker and consumer.
Elgin Street at Laurier Avenue, Confederation Park | Artist: Henry Hunt
This totem pole is located at the edge of Confederation Park. It is the work of Kwakiutl artist Henry Hunt. In 1971, the province of British Columbia donated this work of art to commemorate the centennial of its entry into Canada. Similar totems were donated by the government of British Columbia at the same time to other provinces and territories.
377 Dalhousie Street, Mercury Court Building
Mercury Court features one of Ottawa’s historic architectural features. The Statue of Mercury, which is a functioning weathervane, was originally placed on the long since demolished Sun Life Building in 1898. The statue has been lovingly preserved and provided by the National Capital Commission for public display at Mercury Court.
The Mercury Court building was originally built as the RCMP Headquarters. It was later converted to house the Laroque Department Store. As Ottawa’s only francophone department store, it was an important part of the City’s bilingual culture. It closed in the early 1970’s. In 1990, the building underwent a classic transformation combining all the elements of a modern office/retail building while maintaining the architectural integrity of this 95-year-old landmark.
From an article by Barry Padolsky, architect, Ottawa, Ontario
Monument to a Lost Opportunity
256 Rideau Street | Artist: Justin Wonnacott
This artwork states “this land was in my trust.I had one year to build a tiny home to prove my sincerity and care for this place. I built nothing and lost it forever.” J. Doe 1826
These words refer to a fictional opportunity lost by citing terms from the land grants to soldiers/settlers at the time of Ottawa’s early British development. It was necessary to erect a structure of about the same size as this monument within a year of taking possession if you wished to retain/obtain a lasting title to the land. At the time this monument was installed this end of Rideau Street did not look too good – there were lots that had been vacant for a very long time. It is much improved today.
Monument to the Canadian Fallen
Mackenzie King Bridge | Artist: Yoo, Young Mun
This monument located in downtown Ottawa commemorates more than 30,000 Canadians who served in the Korean War from 1950 to 1953, and as peacekeepers in Korea until 1957. Inscribed on the monument are the names of 516 courageous Canadians who gave their lives for freedom and peace.
The monument depicts a Canadian volunteer soldier and two Korean children. The girl is holding a bouquet of maple leaves and the boy is holding a bouquet of maple leaves and roses of Sharon, Korea’s national flower.
An identical monument stands in the United Nations Memorial Cemetery in Busan, Korea, where 378 Canadians lie buried.
This monument was designed by a Canadian veteran of the Korean war, Vincent R. Courtenay. It was created by Korean artist Yoo, Young Mun in 2002.
53 Elgin Street, National Arts Centre | Artist: Leonardo Neirman
A gift from Mexico by sculptor Leonardo Nierman.
On the nearby plaque, – “A symbol of friendship from the people of Mexico to the people of Canada”
Presented to Canada by Mexico in partnership with Secretaria de relaciones exteriores, the Embassy of Mexico and Scotiabank Group on September 15th, 2006.
Dimensions of the sculpture 308 x 67 x 41 cm
National Aboriginal Veterans Monument
Elgin Street at Laurier Avenue, Confederation Park | Artist: Noel Lloyd Pinay
This richly symbolic monument is a tribute to the many Aboriginal men and women who have served in the Canadian Armed Forces over the years. It reflects traditional beliefs about honour, duty and harmony with the environment.
Four figures represent the various Aboriginal groups in Canada. Two of the figures hold weapons, and two hold spiritual objects. They convey a sense of balance, implying that often a desire for peace lies at the root of war. An eagle occupies the highest point of the sculpture. It symbolizes the Creator (known as the Thunderbird), and embodies the spirit of Canada’s Aboriginal peoples. The four animals — wolf, grizzly, buffalo and caribou — represent spiritual guides.
The monument was created by Noel Lloyd Pinay in 2001.
National War Memorial
Elgin Street at Wellington Street, Confederation Square | Artist: Vernon March
The National War Memorial (also known as The Response), is a tall granite cenotaph with bronze sculptures, that stands in Confederation Square, Ottawa, and serves as the federal war memorial for Canada.
Originally built to commemorate the First World War, in 1982 it was rededicated to include the Second World War and the Korean War. In 2000, the Canadian Tomb of the Unknown Soldier was added to the memorial site and symbolizes the sacrifice made by every Canadian who has died or may yet die for their country.
53 Elgin Street, National Arts Centre | Artist: Ruth Abernethy
This slightly larger than life sized bronze sculpture of Oscar Peterson, famous Canadian Jazz pianist, sits in front of the National Arts Center in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
It was cast by Ruth Abernethy and unveiled by Queen Elizabeth II on June 30th of 2010.
Princess Tulip Sculpture
55 Colonel By Drive, Shaw Centre | Artist: Laura Brown-Breetvelt
Ottawa was the temporary wartime home for members of the Dutch Royal family, and it was here that Princess Margriet was born—the only royal personage ever born in North America. The Princess Tulip Sculpture is a symbolic commemoration of the Tulip Legacy Story and the 70th Anniversary of the Liberation. The sculpture depicts Dutch Princess Margriet as an infant with her mother Princess Juliana in a Giant Tulip setting.
2 Rideau Street, Government of Canada Conference Centre | Artist: Bert Vandergugten
This work of art titled Salmon Run shows Salmon engaging in a life-and-death struggle to return to their spawning grounds and create the next generation. The fountain was produced by Bert Vandergugten in 1978 and is part of the National Capital Commission art collection.
Sussex Drive and York Street | Artist: Armand Vallancourt
Samothrace is a sculpture created by Armand Vaillancout in 1966. It is located on Sussex Drive between the York Street stairs and the Connaught Building. Samothrace was created using poured cast iron and painted black.
400 King Edward Avenue, Ottawa Little Theatre | Artist: Lynda Cronin
The Cornerstone sculpture plays upon the transformative power of props to create an ever-changing world on the stage. The work celebrates the many volunteers who dedicate their time to bringing imaginary worlds to life. The individuals and the props they engage with are akin to ShapeShifters, as they manoeuvre, grow and change their environment in the creation of live Theatre. Appearing on the work are the names of volunteers who have made an extraordinary contribution to the development of the Ottawa Little Theatre since it was founded in 1913 – the human cornerstones of its success.
Placement Date: 2013
Materials: Powder Coated Aluminum
130 Besserer Street, Les Suites Hotel | Artist: Martin Toledo
The bronze statue of Simon Bolivar is located at the intersection of Besserer Street and Dalhousie Avenue in Ottawa, Ontario. It was sculpted by Martin Toledo and completed in June 2008 in Caracas, Venezuela.
The plaque on the monument reads as follows:
“Monument offered by the Government of Venezuela upon request of its ambassador, his Excellency Gilberto Carrasquero, supported by the Ambassadors, to Canada, of the Bolivarian countries.
Their Excellencies: Luis Pelaez Rioja, Ambassador of Bolivia, Jaime Vidal Perdomo, Ambassador of Columbia, Mario Ribadeneira, Ambassador of Ecuador, Oscar Maurtua, Ambassador of Peru.
To the City of Ottawa during the tenure of the Honourable James Durell, Mayor Ottawa, October 1988”
The text on a second plaque is as follows:
“This monument is a gift of the Venezuelan Government under the Presidency of Dr. Jaime Lusinchi, through the Minister of Internal Affairs, Dr. Jose Angel Ciliberto, who on his behalf and representation unveiled it on October 1988.”
South African War Memorial
Elgin Street at Laurier Avenue, Confederation Park | Artist: Hamilton MacCarthy
The South African War Memorial is set in Confederation Park in downtown Ottawa. Thirty thousand school children donated pennies to pay for this monument to Canadian volunteers who died in the South African War (Boer War) of 1899–1902.
The monument is comprised of a bronze statue on a stone pedestal. The bronze statue depicts a man dressed in the uniform used during the South African War. He is holding a rifle and has his hat raised above his head. On the pedestal, there are two plaques. The plaques honour sixteen Ottawa volunteers who died in the South African War, in which 267 Canadians lost their lives.
The monument was created by the sculptor Hamilton MacCarthy in 1902.
In 2012, the Animals in War Dedication was unveiled next to the South African War Memorial. The location is symbolic because Canada supplied 50,000 horses for the South African War.
The Angels (Faith, Hope and Charity)
Colonel By Drive at Rideau Street, The Underpass | Artist: Erin Robertson
The Angels Faith, Hope and Charity were created by Ottawa artist Erin Robertson. Faith is represented by flight; Charity with her hands extended; and Hope is carrying a baby. They are built in Fiberglass and aquaresin directly over a metal mesh and steel frame.
This is commissioned art by the Downtown Rideau BIA as part of its public art program in partnership with the City of Ottawa.
The Dorothy O’Connell Monument to Anti-Poverty
110 Laurier Avenue West, Ottawa City Hall, South Lawn | Artist: C.J. Fleury
Dorothy O’Connell, playwright and anti-poverty activist for many years is referred to as the poet laureate of the poor. She helped establish Ottawa’s first women’s credit union and first legal aid clinic. She co-founded the Ottawa Tenants Council and the Ottawa Council for Low Income Support Services.
Designed by C.J.Fleury, the artist’s concept refers to food and shelter and the interconnectedness of these basic necessities of life. The monument incorporates the visual symbols of bread and housing, which are immediately recognizable and portray the universal theme of the monument. The artist also created the “Women’s Monument Against Violence” in Minto Park.
The inside walls of the hollowed out area have words often used by Ms O’Connell:
POVERTY STOPS EQUALITY / EQUALITY STOPS POVERTY
AVEC LA PAUVRETÉ PAS D’ÉGALITÉ / L’ÉGALITÉ MET FIN À LA PAUVRETÉ
The “house” is used as a podium for events designed to raise awareness of the needy among us. Inscribed around the base are the words:
THE DOROTHY O’CONNELL MONUMENT TO ANTI-POVERTY ACTIVISM
MONUMENT DOROTHY-O’CONNELL À LA LUTTE ANTI-PAUVRETÉ
Anti-Poverty activism, an intimidating issue, was made approachable through this portrayal and gives dignity to the impoverished.
This monument was unveiled Oct. 17, 2004 on the United Nations’ International Day for the Eradication of Poverty.
67 Nicholas Street, Galerie SAW Gallery | Artist: Bart Uchida
Firestone Collection of Canadian Art, The Ottawa Art Gallery Donated to the City of Ottawa by the Ontario Heritage Foundation
Placement Date : 1974
Medium : Marble, Height (cm): 238.8, Width (cm): 218.4
The Living Room
110 Laurier Avenue West, Ottawa City Hall | Artist: Urban Kelos
The Living Room considers the inversion of private and public space and the role that art takes on when this inversion occurs. Each object in The Living Room has been developed as a character in the play of everyday life, animated by its form and juxtaposition to its new environment. As a collective group the characters focus their attention towards the television. The television or the “The Informer” is a window to the world of events and actions occurring around the space. The Living Room invites and encourages the public’s interaction. Whether stopping to read, rest, or converse, people become integral players on the stage.
URBAN KEIOS, The Living Room(detail), 1995, colour anodized aluminum
URBAN KEIOS, established in Ottawa in 1991, is a partnership between two artists, Nickolas D. Semanyk and Jason Grant-Henley. Both artists graduated from Carleton University in architecture.
The Lost Child
110 Laurier Avenue West, Ottawa City Hall | Artist: David Ruben Piqtoukun
The Lost Child symbolizes triumph over the feeling of alienation in the urbanized world. The largest boulder, weighing 27 000 kilograms and standing 5.8 metres tall, represents a watch-guard, its voice clear and strong as it calls out. Fabricated in the tradition of a cairn, an assemblage of stones, the work acts as a point of reference and provides a place of respite and contemplation.
David Ruben Piqtoukun, The Lost Child, 1990, granite stones
David Ruben Piqtoukun is an internationally renowned Inuit stone artist born in Paulatuk, Northwest Territories, 1950. At the age of five, David was sent to boarding school until 17 years of age. Growing up, David was able find his identity and learn about his culture through carving. He began stone carving at the age of 22, with original instruction from his brother Abraham Apalark Anghik.
The Northwest Rebellion
Laurier Avenue West and Queen Elizabeth Drive, Cartier Drill Hall Grounds | Artist: Percy Wood
Installed originally in Major’s Hill Park in 1888, on the site now occupied by the Chateau Laurier, this memorial commemorates two members of the Sharpshooters Company of the Governor General’s Foot Guards who died at the Battle of Cut Knife Hill on May 2, 1885, during the Northwest Rebellion. Designed by the British sculptor Percy Wood, the monument includes the portraits of Privates William B. Osgoode and John Rodgers, and the bronze figure of a Guardsman, resting on arms reversed. The Regiment still conducts a memorial service every year at the monument.
The Ottawa Fire Fighters Memorial
110 Laurier Avenue West, Ottawa City Hall | Artist: Doughlas Coupland
The memorial was unveiled September 11, 2009, during the Annual Fire Fighters Memorial Service.
The memorial was placed by the Ottawa Fire Fighters Community Foundation.
The Valiants Memorial
Wellington Street and Elgin Street, Confederation Square | Artists: John McEwen and Marlene Hilton Moore
The Valiants Memorial is a military monument commemorating fourteen key figures from Canada’s military history. It was dedicated on 5 November 2006. The work consists of nine busts and five statues, all life-sized, by artists Marlene Hilton Moore and John McEwen.
It was installed around the Sappers Staircase, an underpass on the northeastern corner of Confederation Square, adjacent to the National War Memorial. The wall of the staircase is decorated with a quotation from The Aeneid by Virgil Nulla dies umquam memori vos eximet aevo, “No day will ever erase you from the memory of time”. The monument was dedicated by Governor General Michaëlle Jean on November 5, 2006.
William Street at George Street, William Mall
If you go to the site of the William Street arch today you’ll see that there’s a circular granite marker in the sidewalk. It’s the plaque dedicating commencement of work on the Rideau Street area project, unveiled by Marion Dewar in 1982. Buried beneath the stone is a 50-year time capsule. It contains a long lost dream.
Tomb of the Unknown Soldier
Wellington Street at Elgin Street, Confederation Square | Artist: Mary Ann Liu
In 2000, the Canadian Tomb of the Unknown Soldier was added to the National War Memorial site and symbolizes the sacrifice made by every Canadian who has died or may yet die for their country.
50 Rideau Street, La Maison Simons | Artist: Shayne Dark
Torrential Red, a striking installation by Shayne Dark, is suspended in the centre of the store in Simons’ escalator atrium, connecting the bottom and top floors.
Mackenzie Avenue and Rideau Street, Major’s Hill Park | Artists: Alex Wyse and Ken Guild
This is one of three sculptures commissioned in 1978 for display in urban parks in the Capital Region. The public actually saw the artists at work in the park. Twist 1.5 was created from British Columbia fir to echo the spiral motif that is common in nature.
While Wyse is a local artist, Guild was from Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia.
2 Daly Avenue, Ottawa Art Gallery | Artist: Bruce Garner
Gift for Dr. O.J. Firestone Collection sculpture by Bruce Garner
V.I.P. (Virtual Instrument Paradigm)
110 Laurier Avenue West, Ottawa City Hall | Artist: Michael Bussiere
This work of art can be found outside on the grounds of Ottawa City Hall on the Festival Plaza. V.I.P. (Virtual Instrument Paradigm) switches from a chaotic musical composition to an interactive performance. Stand below the video camera and conduct a symphony with your arms. The computer may make its own music for people nearby.
The hardware for the artwork is housed in five concrete towers designed and constructed by Mark West.
Michael Bussière, V.I.P. (detail), 1996, concrete, computer, speaker, sound system video camera
Michael Bussière is an accomplished musical artist, composer, and producer from the region.
World Peace Plaque
2 Rideau Street, Government of Canada Conference Centre