The Downtown Rideau Street Ambassadors are an integral part of providing a welcoming experience in Ottawa’s Arts, Fashion & Theatre District. Trained in public relations and knowledgeable about Downtown Rideau businesses, the Downtown Ambassadors are on-street customer service representatives providing public assistance and information on where to shop and dine, and see and do, in Downtown Rideau. They also engage street people-in-need to connect them with services and outreach assistance.
5 days a week, 8 hours a day
May to October
To address “public nuisance” issues such as noise, obstruction of the right of way (ROW), litter, graffiti and aggressive behaviour.
- Assist the public with tourism inquiries, directions and information on businesses and services in Downtown Rideau
- Provide front-line response to the public in case of accident or injury
- Provide a street presence monitoring and reporting public disorder for response
- Engage disadvantaged individuals to connect people to services
- Document activity for evaluation to identify service gaps
- Maintain positive community relations with all Downtown Rideau stakeholders
The Downtown Rideau Street Ambassadors program is a customized service provided by the Downtown Rideau Business Improvement Area (B.I.A.) . The B.I.A. is responsible for program development, implementation, communications and monitoring services. The B.I.A.’s Public Space Operations Manager is responsible for hiring, training, managing personnel, reporting and evaluation.
Information to Provide Ambassadors:
- Name and phone number
- Location or business calling
- Activity observed
- Description of individuals, such as number of people, gender, age and height
- Potential safety risks (visible or mentioned)