Ottawa – Beginning February 3, the eastbound transit/taxi only lane on Rideau Street between Sussex Drive and William Street will be closed. This lane closure is required for Cadillac Fairveiw’s Rideau Centre expansion project, and will be in effect for several years.
Eastbound traffic will be reduced to one lane and will remain open to all traffic. All transit services will remain in place. Commuters should expect delays in the area and are advised to plan their travels accordingly.
With all of the construction-related activities underway, residents are encouraged to be flexible with commuting times, stagger work hours or use other alternative means for travel. The public is asked to consider options such as transit, walking, cycling or carpooling.
The City of Ottawa has tools on ottawa.ca to help motorists and transit users plan their routes and manage their commute including:
- OttawaNav – the City’s mobile application for real time construction and traffic information.
- City of Ottawa Traffic Report – outlining citywide road closures, traffic restrictions and detours
- Travel Planner at octranspo.com – transit users can chart and plan routes
- Interactive traffic map – showing construction areas and live traffic cams throughout the city
- Ministry of Transportation of Ontario (MTO) cameras along Highway 417
- Cycling maps and information – detailing bicycle pathways and lanes throughout the city
Further details and other information concerning City road works are available on ottawa.ca.