Downtown Rideau Business Improvement Area (B.I.A.)
JOB TITLE: Digital Media Content Creation Services
JOB TYPE: Short Term Contract Position: 3 days/week December 7, 2020 to April 30, 2021
ORGANIZATION: Downtown Rideau Business Improvement Area (B.I.A.)
LOCATION: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
HOURS: 24 hours per week
CLOSING DATE: November 29, 2020
STARTING DATE: December 7, 2020
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
The Downtown Rideau Business Improvement Area (B.I.A.) is seeking a skilled graphic design professional to be responsible for creating and maintaining digital media content for use on its website and multimedia assets in a fast-paced, small office environment.
The Downtown Rideau B.I.A. is the leading voice guiding the transformation of the Downtown Rideau district into a world-class shopping and cultural destination. The district has played a central role in Ottawa’s retail and cultural history for over 200 years. This reputation for shopping excellence and heritage respect is being woven into construction projects that are transforming Downtown Rideau and ensuring its future as Ottawa’s Arts, Fashion & Theatre District and the continuance of its cultural and shopping vibrancy and innovation. Founded in 1981, the Downtown Rideau B.I.A. represents 550 members employing 15,000 people in a 53-block area surrounding Rideau Street between Parliament Hill and the Rideau River. In addition to promoting the district as a shopping, dining, cultural and tourism destination, the Downtown Rideau B.I.A. advocates for its economic viability within the City of Ottawa. For more information about the Downtown Rideau B.I.A., visit www.downtownrideau.com.
This junior to intermediate level graphic design position will create digital multimedia content including minimal copywriting, manage files and update information in print, digital, social and video mediums. The position provides support to marketing staff and coordinates work with the organization’s external creative agency. The ideal candidate is energetic, with a passion for working with communications design, takes initiative, works independently and has attention for detail and accuracy.
Additional requirements include operating office equipment and technology: printer/copier telephones, postage, email and file management on Google Drive. The ideal candidate will be familiar with cloud and integrated software in Mac environments and be at the intermediate level with design technologies and web platforms (Adobe Suite, WordPress, Squarespace) including a basic knowledge of Google GSuit.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Create content for ads, posters and communications.
- Prepare files for upload on a remote digital poster network.
- Prepare files for upload on websites (WordPress and Squarespace).
- Manage digital files for access by internal staff and external suppliers.
- Update content on website.
- Prepare “promotional briefs” and post on website news blogs and to provide social media services.
- Prepare “then and now” content for use by social media services.
Competencies & Skills
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers and suppliers.
- Communicate and document effectively with colleagues and suppliers.
- Records management and documentation, including updating processes and other training/reference documents.
- Attention to detail, and excellent communication skills.
- Plan, set priorities and organize work.
- Skills in operating a personal computer and functioning in a Mac environment on Adobe Creative Suite platform.
- Critical and conceptual thinking skills, and the ability to analyze functions, issues and problems.
- Working ability in Adobe Creative Suite, WordPress and Squarespace.
- Planning and organizational experience to manage workload and report on progress.
- Experience working in Google Gsuite and a Mac involvement.
- College Diploma in Graphic Design or Digital Media Creation.
- Experience and formal training combined with demonstrated performance and ability may substitute for stipulated academic requirements.
- English essential.
- Interested applicants are required to send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
- No phone calls, please.