Downtown Rideau Business Improvement Area (B.I.A.)
JOB TITLE: Payables & Financial Support Services Assistant
JOB TYPE: Short Term Contract Position: 3 days/week December 7, 2020 to April 30, 2021
ORGANIZATION: Downtown Rideau Business Improvement Area (B.I.A.)
LOCATION: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
HOURS: 24 hours per week
CLOSING DATE: November 29, 2020
STARTING DATE: December 7, 2020
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
The Downtown Rideau Business Improvement Area (B.I.A.) is seeking a skilled Quick Books professional to be responsible for processing payables and coordinating financial information, procedures, and records in a fast-paced, small office environment.
The Downtown Rideau B.I.A. is the leading voice guiding the transformation of the Downtown Rideau district into a world-class shopping and cultural destination. The district has played a central role in Ottawa’s retail and cultural history for over 200 years. This reputation for shopping excellence and heritage respect is being woven into construction projects that are transforming Downtown Rideau and ensuring its future as Ottawa’s Arts, Fashion & Theatre District and the continuance of its cultural and shopping vibrancy and innovation. Founded in 1981, the Downtown Rideau B.I.A. represents 550 members employing 15,000 people in a 53-block area surrounding Rideau Street between Parliament Hill and the Rideau River. In addition to promoting the district as a shopping, dining, cultural and tourism destination, the Downtown Rideau B.I.A. advocates for its economic viability within the City of Ottawa. For more information about the Downtown Rideau B.I.A., visit www.downtownrideau.com.
This junior to intermediate level financial support position will implement expenditure procedures, prepare payables for off-site processing and produce payables reports for project tracking and budget forecasting, including preparing the chart of accounts with the bookkeeper. The position coordinates the flow of financial information for reconciliation and correction with external financial support services at the City of Ottawa, bookkeeper and accountant. The ideal candidate is energetic, with a passion for working with financial information, takes initiative, works independently and has attention for detail and accuracy.
Additional requirements include operating office equipment and technology: printer/copier telephones, postage, email and file management on Google Drive. The ideal candidate will be familiar with cloud and integrated software environments and be at the intermediate level with technologies, QuickBooks, MS Excel, and have a basic knowledge of Google GSuit.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Process accounts payable on a regular schedule for processing through the City of Ottawa and obtaining/scheduling two required signatures on approved payments.
- Produce financial reports from QuickBooks accounting system for project tracking and budget forecasting/development.
- Work with the bookkeeper to set up a Chart of Accounts for the year following a budget format provided by the City of Ottawa.
- Provide input into financial decision-making recommendations and support developing processes and systems to collect financial information to inform decisions and to meet reporting requirements as required by the Executive Director, City of Ottawa, bookkeeper and accountant
- Comply with all legislative requirements, Board policies and procedures, funding body criteria and professional standards.
- Take notes of meetings attended, actions assigned and expectations from financial goals and objectives.
- Manage financial records and archival documents including bylaws, financial statements, policies and procedures, contacts and training materials.
- Manage and report on internal and external financial services and providers including monitoring financial activity and expenditures using variance analysis, forecasting methodologies and comparison to the fiscal budget.
Competencies & Skills
- Financial acumen and accuracy with numbers.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers and suppliers.
- Communicate and document effectively with colleagues and suppliers.
- Records management and documentation, including updating processes and other training/reference documents.
- Attention to detail, and excellent communication skills.
- Plan, set priorities and organize work.
- Skills in operating a personal computer and functioning in a Mac environment on QuickBooks platform.
- Critical and conceptual thinking skills, and the ability to analyze functions, issues and problems.
- Intermediate level knowledge of QuickBooks platform.
- Minimum three years intermediate level in related financial services experience
- Planning and organizational experience to lead and facilitate budget development, monitoring, financial planning and reporting within required timelines.
- Experience working in Google Gsuite and a Mac involvement.
- College Diploma in Financial Services programs and/or QuickBooks Certification.
- Experience and formal training combined with demonstrated performance and ability may substitute for stipulated academic requirements.
- English essential.
- Interested applicants are required to send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
- No phone calls, please.