Enter here to visit the Rideau Lore page and explore site specific historical information, points of interest and community stories speaking to the rich heritage of the Arts, Fashion & Theatre District.
Downtown Rideau Timeline
- 1826 Commercial District
- 1857 Civil Servants
- 1889 The Department Store Era
- 1916 Architectural Landmarks
- 60’s and 70’s Suburban Competition
- 1983 Rideau Area Project
- 1993 Redevelopment Project
- 2011 Redevelopment of the Shaw Centre
- 2013-2017 Introduction of Light Rail Transit
- 2013-2016 Rideau Centre Revitalization and Expansion
1826 Commercial District
Downtown Rideau has played a central role in Ottawa’s commercial and retail sectors since shortly after the area was first settled more than 188 years ago. Lt. Col. John By arrived in 1826 to begin construction of the Rideau Canal and Rideau Street formed part of an original route to Montreal. Just one year later in 1827, Rideau Street emerged as the primary commercial district serving the residents of Lower Town and Upper Town, which it neatly divided. Underground sewers and drains were eventually installed on Rideau Street in 1850. The next year, a sidewalk on the north side of the street was built, and a public water well was installed at the intersection of Rideau and Dalhousie streets. Gas lamps first appeared along Rideau Street in 1854. Despite the significance of the street, it remained unpaved until 1895. Until this time, merchants were forced to sprinkle water on the street twice a day to keep dust from entering their stores and spoiling merchandise.
Back to top
1857 Civil Servants
Back to top
1889 The Department Store Era
The introduction of the department store in the late 19th century had a significant influence on the appearance and structure of Downtown Rideau. In 1889, T. Lindsay and Co. opened Ottawa’s first multi-purpose department store where Rideau Centre is today. By 1901, the north side of Rideau Street accommodated 3 such businesses. Each store was located in a multi-storey building fronting on 2 streets — Rideau and George. This marked the beginning of Rideau Street’s reign as the premier-shopping district in Ottawa, as it became known for its many high quality department stores. A.J. Frieman’s Department Store, now home to The Bay, was Ottawa’s largest. Ogilvy’s, located on the SW side of Rideau at Nicholas emphasized quality and personal service. Two other department stores — Caplan’s, located on the north side of Rideau at Nicholas, and Larogue’s , located on the NE corner of Rideau at Dalhousie, served a broad clientele on both sides of the Ottawa River. By the 1920s, Rideau Street was home to upwards of 50 family-owned retail establishments. These retailers included L.E. Stanley, McKerracher-Wanless, Beardsley’s Shoes, Dworkin Furs, Edelson Jewellers, Letellier Shoes and Trudel Hardware. Many of these businesses remained in operation until the 2000’s with Letellier Shoes and Trudel Hardware continuing to operate in Downtown Rideau today.
Back to top
1916 Architectural Landmarks
Back to top
The 60’s and 70’s – Suburban Competition
In the year’s following the Second World War, Downtown Rideau, like many other downtown districts, faced increasing competition from new suburban shopping centres, many of which were anchored by department stores. By the 1970s, this increase in retail competition was compounded in Downtown Rideau when the federal government moved 18% of its downtown workforce to Hull, Quebec. For the first time in its 187-year commercial hierarchy history, Downtown Rideau began to experience a loss of downtown shoppers, and many of its family-owned businesses began to close.
Back to top
1983 Rideau Area Project
As Downtown Ottawa faced a rapidly declining consumer market share throughout the 1960s and 1970s, the local, provincial and federal governments took decisive action to improve the situation. The number, location, and size of regional shopping facilities in Ottawa were restricted and massive investment into public transit downtown occurred. In particular, $166 million was spent on the Rideau Area Project — a joint undertaking of the local, provincial, and federal governments and a consortium of private developers, in 1983. The centerpiece of the Project was the redevelopment of a 35-acre parcel east of the Rideau Canal in Downtown Rideau with frontage on both Rideau Street and Colonel By Drive. On this site, the Rideau Centre and Ottawa Congress Centre (now the Ottawa Convention Centre) were built, along with the 475 room Westin Hotel. This made the Rideau Centre the largest regional shopping facility in Ottawa with 1.1 million square feet. It consistently performs as the 4th highest sales per square foot shopping centre in Canada. Over the years it has included the Eatons and Sears department stores and over 140 retail outlets. The Ottawa Convention Centre is Ottawa’s premier trade and convention facility. At the same time, the Rideau Area Business Improvement Area was formed to market the district under the Downtown Rideau brand and represent its business community. In an attempt to connect the shopping centre with retailers on Rideau Street, and ensure a high volume of transit consumer base for the district, the city closed Rideau Street to through traffic and created the Rideau Transit Mall for transit use only. The Transit Mall included all-weather protected sidewalk enclosures on Rideau Street between Sussex Drive and Nicholas Street. The Transit Mall and Sidewalk Enclosures attracted loitering and vagrant activity that resulted in having a negative economic impact on Downtown Rideau businesses.
Back to top
1993 Redevelopment Project
In the early 1990s, with the recognition that the Rideau Area Project and the Rideau Transit Mall had failed, a further $4.2 million dollar investment in Rideau Street was made by Downtown Rideau property owners, businesses and the City of Ottawa. The purpose of this project was to restore Rideau Street to its previous function as a commercial mainstreet, major east/west artery and an open-air, pedestrian-friendly place. Among the primary physical renovations to Rideau Street was the removal of the Transit Mall and Sidewalk Enclosures, which obstructed views of business storefronts and the re-introduction of mixed-use vehicles (cars) back to the street and straitening of the roadway. In addition to mixed-use vehicles, two-way traffic was returned to streets parallel to Rideau that were used to divert cars off Rideau, and streetscaping elements were added that complemented the architectural character of Downtown Rideau’s historic buildings. These efforts had the effect of returning Rideau Street to a conventional “mainstreet”, by knitting Downtown Rideau back into Ottawa’s bustling urban fabric both functionally and visually, and creating a new pedestrian-friendly atmosphere to attract more Ottawans and visitors to Rideau Street.
Back to top
2011 Redevelopment of the Shaw Centre
Redevelopment of the Shaw Centre (formerly the Ottawa Convention Centre) began with the demolition and closure of the former Ottawa Congress Centre in 2008. The new Shaw Centre is a world-class, state-of-the-art facility in a prestigious location along the UNESCO World Heritage Rideau Canal and views of the Parliament Buildings. It tripled its floor space on the same footprint in Downtown Rideau and has over 200,000 square feet of world-class meeting space — 100,000 of which is continuous column-free space. Total capital investment is $159 million, with $50 million each from the federal and provincial governments, and $40 million from the City of Ottawa. The balance is debt-financed. The new facility opened in April 2011. Within its first year the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) of all goods and services produced at the Shaw Centre rose from a projected $63 million in June 2009 to over $200 million in December 2010. The new Shaw Centre resulted in the following ROI:
- employment impact double from 1,200 to 2,900 full time jobs
- tax revenues exceeded $65 million
- visitors generated $82.4 million
- local trade generated $14.2 million
- 118 FTEs in the local retail industry
$11.3 million in revenues and 141 FTEs in local restaurants and bars
Back to top
2013-2017 Introduction of Light Rail Transit 2014-2017
The City of Ottawa is building a world-class Light Rail Transit (LRT) system called the Confederation Line, to respond traffic congestion throughout the city and to encourage car commuters to switch to transit. The LRT is a state-of-the-art system and Ottawa’s largest transportation infrastructure project since the building of the Rideau Canal in 1826. The Confederation Line will be a significant part of OC Transpo’s integrated transit network by connecting the existing Bus Rapid Transitway (BRT) with a 2.5km downtown tunnel that will move Ottawa faster and in more comfort than ever before. The LRT Rideau station is located under Rideau Street and integration with the Rideau Centre. It will be the most important transfer station, providing transfers between the Confederation Line and the city’s urban bus routes to the east and south. The construction schedule will see the downtown portion of the project substantially complete by 2017 in time for the 150th anniversary of Canada’s Confederation. At a cost of just over two billion dollars, it is the largest infrastructure project awarded in the history of the city and has resulted in significant reinvestment and property redevelopment in Downtown Rideau.
Back to top
2013-2016 Rideau Centre Revitalization and Expansion
The Cadillac Fairview Corporation Limited made a significant investment in a major revitalization and expansion project at Rideau Centre that took place over a three year period from September 2013 to August 2016. The Redevelopment Project included:
- A complete interior renovation to a fresh, contemporary look that features premium finishes including new quartz flooring, enhanced lighting, glass guardrails and modern amenities.
- A new 35,000 sq. ft. dining hall that offers a one-of-a kind dining experience for Ottawa shoppers featuring 16 premium branded eateries, seating for 850 and state-of-the-art scullery using reusable dishes, glassware and metal cutlery instead of disposable products.
- A stellar and exclusive line-up of the industry’s best-in-class retailers including Nordstrom and Simons!
- An expansion that added 230,000 sq. ft. of leasable area over 4-levels, plus a new 3-level underground parking garage.
- A new exterior façade that re-energizes and animates the area along Rideau Street including a refurbished Ogilvy Building heritage façade.
The importance of Downtown Rideau today as Ottawa’s Arts & Theatre District and retail centre stems from its historic role as the primary commercial district of early Ottawa. Located just one block east of Parliament Hill and the Rideau Canal, Downtown Rideau did, and still does, provide a focus for the region’s shopping, hotel and meeting activities. The proximity of Downtown Rideau’s main street- Rideau Street- to many of the capital’s local and national landmarks and attractions further enhances Downtown Rideau’s role as the centre of activity in the City of Ottawa.
Back to top